"Cockroaches of Communications"
CCAR members refer to themselves this way because, like the amazing cockroach, our communications survive.
Chester County ARES/RACES (CCAR) provides emergency communications for Chester County Department of Emergency Services (CCDES) from any location within Chester County to locations designated by CCDES. Chester County ARES/RACES also provides communications assistance to other agencies based on coordinated cooperative arrangements with neighboring counties following a request made through CCDES. Registered FCC-licensed amateur radio operators provide 2-way voice and digital communications services on a volunteer basis.
It is the responsibility of individual volunteers to prepare themselves and their personal equipment to provide reliable communications within two hours of activation and be self-sustaining at field assignments for periods up to 72 hours. CCAR provides emergency communications training for its members. CCAR will operate in compliance with the the Chester County Emergency Operations Plan and the Eastern Pennsylvania (EPA) Comms Plan.
Situations occur in our communities that may affect you and your family. ReadyNotifyPA lets local officials notify you quickly. Be among the first to find out and stay informed during an emergency. ReadyNotifyPA, is a community alert system that allows citizens and visitors to sign up free for a variety of emergency alerts from severe weather to threats to our homeland security to traffic alerts. Subscribers have the option of receiving alerts via E-mail, personal digital assistants (PDAs) or cell phones.
Messages are not limited to where you work or live. In fact, if you work in Philadelphia, live in Chester County and have a spouse working in Montgomery County, you can sign up for alerts about all of the areas you care about.
For more information about ReadyNotifyPA or to subscribe to this free service (text messaging fees may be applied by your cell phone carrier) please go to http://www.readynotifypa.org
[Courtesy of The ARRL Letter/American Radio Relay League]
The 10th Annual SKYWARN Recognition Day (SRD) Special Event will take place Saturday, December 6, 2008
Recently District EC Bob Famiglio, K3RF, put a call out for a limited number of volunteers to assist with the Philadelphia Airport Emergency Preparedness Exercise. Delco EC Bob Wilson, W3BIG, took on the last-minute planning and coordination duties. With this event and the recent effort to get District operators from the five-county area participating together in training events, W3BIG sums up his lessons learned.
Your thoughts and comments are encouraged. His message follows...
From: BobCanoe@aol.com [mailto:BobCanoe@aol.com]
Total Check-Ins: Voice – 21, WinLink – 1, APRS – 0.
VOICE: N3MXB GUY (NCS), WB3GCK CRAIG, KB3IGL RAY, K3WIL WILL, WL7DW MARK, N3QGO RYAN, KE3HG RICH, KB3NCK JIM, W3AHR AL, KB3RBU SCOTT, KB3CVC DICK, W3QA LOR, W3AHL STEVE, W3XE GEORGE, KB3PCY MARTIN, K5HAL CULLEN, AA3YR BILL, KB3FCJ TIM, W3BMA DICK, W3JBS JOE, KB3TQS TOM.
WINLINK: W3AHL STEVE.
Total Check-Ins: Voice – 12, WinLink – 4, APRS – 0.
VOICE: WB3GCK CRAIG (NCS), KB3RBU SCOTT, KB3IGL RAY, KE3HG RICH, KA3QKZ DON, W3HOA AL, N3MXB GUY, KB3PCY MARTIN, K5HAL CULLEN, W3BMA DICK, W3AHL STEVE, KB3TQS TOM.
WINLINK: WB3GCK CRAIG, KB3PCY MARTIN, KB3TQS TOM, W3AHL STEVE.
10/30/2008 CCAR Thursday Night Net Total: 23
Net Control: W3AHR Al
Drill Traffic: W3HOA Al
Mobiles: K3YK Dave, KB3IGL Ray, KB3FCJ Tim
Traffic: W3QA Lor, W3XE George
KA3QKZ Don, K3JSE Andy
W3MO Jim, KB3CVC Dick, W3AHL Steve, KB3TQS Tom, W3JEF Jeff
Out Of County:
WA3LGL Sam Horsham, W3BMA Dick Philadelphia
Out Of State:
KE3HG Rich, W3JBS Joe, W3GGY Russ, KB3PZY Al, K3KNM John
Winlink W3AHL, KB3TQS, KB3PCY, WB3GCK, W3WA, W3QA
29 October 2008--CCAR was activated this evening at 2331 for riots in West Chester Borough. Lor Kutchins W3QA answered the page to the 911 supervisor and put CCAR on standby status for the EOC activation. Ray Jefferis KB3IGL called in to make himself available. Assessment at 0012 by John Haynes was that normal communications are available and the incident is confined to West Chester. CCAR assistance is not needed. CCAR stood down at 0015 AM 30 October 2008.
Please see the post in the CCAR-Talk forum. Thanks for any contribution you can make, and for testing the site as a user. Please exercise it as much as you can.
Total Check-Ins: Voice – 23, WinLink – 6, APRS – 1.
VOICE: W3HOA AL (NCS), W3XE GEORGE, N3QGO BRYAN, KB3IGL RAY, KB3MJD JOHN, W3QA LOR, KE3HG RICH, W3GGY RUSS, KB3NCK JIM, KA3QKZ DON, KB3RNL KYLE, W3MO JIM, KB3CVC DICK, KB3TQS TOM, W3AHL STEVE, N3MXB GUY, K5HAL CULLEN, AA3YR BILL, WX3I LOU, W3BMA DICK, KB3RBU SCOTT, WA3BXE GARY, WA3NOA JIM.
WINLINK: K1DRW DENNIS, W3WA JIM, WB3GCK CRAIG, N3MXB GUY, W3QA LOR, W3AHL STEVE.
APRSLink: WA3NOA JIM.
Amateur Radio News
- What's Happening – March 29, 2017 - The Parsons Advocate
- Belize students receive introduction to ham radio - Southgate Amateur Radio Club
- Amateur radio general license classes continue | The Daily Courier ... - The Daily Courier
- Amateur Radio Operators Play Vital Communication Role During ... - Noozhawk
- Sunnyvale Ham Radio Outlet closes after 26 years - Milpitas Post
- Shut Up and Say Something: Amateur Radio Digital Modes - Hackaday
- Ham radio club will celebrate 40th anniversary - Hillsboro Times Gazette
- 'Hotbed' amateur radio waves getting bigger - Richmond News
- Joint Communications gears up to move into new 911 center - Columbia Daily Tribune
- Amateur radio operators keep emergency communication lines open at area hospitals - Chicago Tribune
- The Netherlands Modifies 5 MHz Amateur Radio Privileges to Conform with WRC-15 Global Allocation
- Talks on Possible 4U1UN Reactivation Continue
- ARRL 2017 Teachers Institutes on Wireless Technology Accepting Applications Until May 1
- Ham-Astronauts Engaging in Series of Spacewalks; Two Heading Home Soon
- AMSAT Reschedules Fox Series Launches
- Moderate (G2) Geomagnetic Storm In Progress, G2 Warning Extended
- UK Museum Wants to Hear from Those Who Remember Sputnik Launch
- Centenarian World War II Veteran Viktor M. Sokolov, U5FS, SK
- OZ7IGY 40 MHz Beacon Shifts to Next Generation Beacons Platform
- College Students in Belize Introduced to Amateur Radio